Honey Ham Croque Madame
- 8 ounces Uncured Honey Ham
- 8 tablespoons of butter
- 4 slices of thick sourdough bread
- ½ cup béchamel sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter then add the flour, cook on medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Add the milk and cook until the sauce thickens, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan. Set aside to make the sandwich.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lay out the bread slices on a clean surface or cutting board. On two of the slices, spread 2 tablespoons of béchamel then ¼ cup of shredded Gruyere over the top. Top with 4 ounces of Uncured Honey Ham.
- On the other two slices evenly spread the remaining béchamel and Gruyère cheese.
- In a skillet over medium high heat add 8 tablespoons of butter and melt. Place all of the bread into the skillet to toast to crispy and golden brown. Remove from the skillet and place on a sheet pan, place into the oven until the cheese is entirely melted.
- While the sandwiches are in the oven, cook the eggs in the same skillet until they are overeasy.
- Remove from the oven then place the bread slice with cheese and béchamel on top of the slice with ham and cheese, making sure to build with the melted cheese as the outside.
- Top with an overeasy egg and serve with a knife and fork.