Monte Cristo Hot Sandwich
- 2 ounces Honey Maple Glazed Turkey Breast
- Black Forest Ham
- Swiss cheese slices
- Jalapeño pepper jam (or any store-bought spicy jelly)
- Cinnamon glazed french toast*
*Cinnamon Glazed French Toast
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream or half-and-half (or use more milk)
- 4 large eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 1 loaf challah bread (about 1 pound), cut into 1 ¼-inch slices
- 4 to 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
French toast recipe courtesy of cooking.nytimes.com.
Cinnamon Glazed French Toast
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, cream, eggs and egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest (if using), ½ teaspoon cardamom and salt.
- Arrange challah slices in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour custard on top, and let sit at room temperature, uncovered, for 30 minutes, so the bread can absorb the custard, carefully flipping bread slices halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, and remaining ¼ teaspoon cardamom. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium, then add 2 tablespoons butter and let it melt. Place 2 to 3 pieces of soaked challah in the skillet, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook until golden on bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each slice, then flip and cook until bottom is glazed and browned, another 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to serving plates, glazed side up. Repeat with remaining butter, challah and cinnamon sugar. Serve warm, with your choice of toppings.
- Place two slices of cinnamon glazed french toast on a flat surface. Spread jalapeño pepper jam on one slice of bread. Add Black Forest Ham on top.
- Top the other slice with Swiss cheese and Honey Maple Glazed Turkey.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, add butter to melt. Once the butter has been melted, fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on top & the cheese is melted.